A week full of challenges and activities during #petrikcodeweek
By Éva, Code Week Leading teacher in Hungary
This year we celebrated EU Code Week with a full week of challenges and activities both for the students of our school and for invited ones.
Our students could apply for a competition, during which a new activity opened each day for 7 days, like a challenge each day. These tasks included:
- designing a 3D model for our school’s 140 anniversary
- coding an Android application using MIT companion or other
- An English race with QR codes, maps and augmented reality
- A treasure hunt with wall game
- Making a video about codes in our everyday lives
- An escape room
- A series of unplugged coding activities
We also held a video conference with a digital educational centre, Mobility from Győr. Our students were taught about robots, green box and other educational opportunities the centre could offer its visitors. The conference was broadcast via our Webex board, which was also a novelty for most participants.
During 2 days, we invited primary school students who also took part in a shorter version of this competition, together with a tour in the school
The goals of our #petrikcodeweek were to:
- Involve non-IT students
- Involve as many girls as possible
- Give an insight into primary school students into IT and our school
Each day we broadcast live on our FB channel. The week ended with a big ceremony with all 15 teams presenting their work to a jury of teachers, school leaders and guests
What have we profited from this?
- An atmosphere filled with a sense of belonging, one that makes you want to stay at school for a little longer
- Student-teacher relationship improved
- Students’ social skills improving – especially those who were the mentors for primary school students
- The myth around coding breaking down: coding is not only in IT and it is not only for specialists
This week would have been impossible without a group of innovative teachers, supportive school leadership and enthusiastic student helpers who worked with us day and night during this amazing journey.