Ministry of Education of Catalonia has promoted the project “Mobilitzem la informàtica” (Mobilize computing)
Publication date: July 9, 2015
From september 2013 and during last two academic years (2013/14 and 2014/15) the Ministry of Education of Catalonia has promoted the project “Mobilitzem la informàtica” (Mobilize computing) in which K10 pupils (15-16 yo) had to follow a formal 105-hour computing course to learn not only how to program a mobile phone but to do a complete process working in small groups:
- Think about different “problems” they have in their day by day life.
- Choose the best one to be solved with an app.
- Do a market research about an app based on their idea.
- Create a (fictional) company.
- Make a business plan.
- Build the app with AppInventor.
- Record a video advertisement about their company and their app
On June 6th there were the App Contest & Awards Ceremony where 30 teams (about 150 students), the finalists of the contest, had to show and explain their apps to the public.
First year there were about 200 high schools and 10.000 students.
Second year there where more than 300 high schools and 25.000 students.
The video below shows how the students work in the classroom.